9.0 out of 10
Reviewer: Steve Thomason
Some review snippets I found interesting...
- The cruise ship in the Mediterranean "proves to be the most discomforting since the original RE mansion"
- "The game made me jump with embarrassing regularity while playing in a bright lit office"
- Big focus on exploration and scrounging for items and health
- Main focus is the ship with side plots that require you to play as different characters
- These side plots move much faster (more action) than the main story on the ship
- Game runs in episodes much like a TV series
- "couple of neat plot twists"
- "The big conspiracy at the center of the game never quite managed to hook me"
- No surprise appearances (Jill and Chris are the only old characters to return)
- About 10 hours to complete
- Raid Mode is more focused and more compelling multi player than Mercenaries 3D
- Raid Mode has more "staying power than Mercenaries"
- Same control scheme as Mercenaries
- Use your thumb on the touch screen to activate some fingerprint locks
- StreetPass enables you to receive special rewards for use in both multi and single player modes
- Genesis Bioscanner is a "nifty addition to the RE formula, and something we hope to see expanded upon in the future"
- Production values are great. CGI cinematics and soundtrack are great. "Hard pressed to think of even a Wii game that seems to have as many resources poured into it"
- Underwater is not "nearly as frustrated as it is in most games"
"If Revelations isn't the best reason to own a Nintendo 3DS right now, it's pretty darn close. The game is a showcase for what the handheld is capable of and a potent reminder of why Resident Evil remains one of the medium's most celebrated franchises."