WARCRAFT III BETA VERSION HISTORY
- BETA PATCH 304
We have made numerous changes to improve the strategic depth of WC3: The
Frozen Throne. Please try new strategies!
BUILDING & UPGRADE CHANGES
- Players now start with 500 gold and 150 lumber, down from 750 gold and
- Barracks-equivalents and Altars are much less expensive.
- Technology structures, in general, cost more lumber, while costing less
gold. This was part of an effort to make various strategies have a wider
window of opportunity, as well as to decrease the cost of switching
- Town Hall-equivalents and the Haunted Gold Mine cost more lumber.
- Town Hall-equivalent upgrades cost more gold and a lot more lumber.
- Most upgrades cost more lumber and less gold.
- Upgrades other than attack/defense upgrades tend to have lower research
- Humans and Undead both have new towers, the Arcane Tower and the Nerubian
Tower, respectively, which are designed to discourage Hero harassment.
- Shop hit points have been significantly reduced, as they should be a prime
target when attacking a base.
Damage and Combat Hierarchy Changes:
- Normal damage now does 70% damage to buildings, up from 50%.
- Heroes now have the aptly-named 'Hero' damage type, which works much
like Normal damage, except it only does 50% damage against buildings,
and 100% damage against Light armor. This was done primarily so that
Heroes no longer strongly counter tier-1 ranged units.
- Piercing damage now does 200% damage to Heavy armor, up from 150%. This
change was made to ensure that Archers and other ranged units can
effectively counter air units.
- Magic damage now deals 75% damage against Light armor units, as Light
armor units typically are supposed to counter units that deal Magic
- Tier-3 melee units now have Medium armor in order to encourage their use,
and make them more dangerous.
- Siege units have been significantly improved by increasing their range
- Heavy air units such as Gryphon Riders and Frost Wyrms now deal Magic
damage, which makes them very effective against Medium armor units, and not
so effective against Light armor units, which are supposed to counter them.
- Air units OTHER than heavy air units have for the most part been
rebalanced. You may notice different damage values and other
- All air units now have Heavy armor.
- Kills made when no Hero is nearby still result in your Heroes' receiving
experience. If one Hero is nearby, but another is not, only the nearby
Hero gains experience. This change was made to encourage the use of air
mobility in harassing an opponent.
- High-level creeps and units give significantly less experience.
- High-level creeps have Medium armor now.
- Low-level Heroes take 30% longer to revive. Heroes of level 4 and higher
still take the maximum of nearly 2 minutes to revive.
- Units killed by buildings no longer give experience.
- (4)BridgeTooNear: Goblin Laboratories are now gold mines. Starting gold
mines and expansions have reduced gold. Tree circle in middle has thin
wall of trees instead of thick wall of trees.
- (4)HailStone: Moved the Tavern out of player's base and replaced with a
large creep camp. Removed 4 expansion gold mines and replaced them with
Taverns and creep camps. Beefed up a gold mine.
- (4)IceFlow: All gold mines have been reduced.
- (4)Islands: Changed creep camps at Goblin Shipyards.
- (4)Tanaris: Middle is now a gold mine. Made creep camps stronger at
Laboratory and gold mines. Ripped out the medium-sized creep camps. All
gold mines reduced slightly.
- (4)Turtle Rock: Starting gold mines reduced slightly. Tertiary gold mines
- (4)WhirlWind: Removed Mercenary Camps and some creep camps. Replaced with
high ground, a Tavern, and a strong creep camp.
- (6)WheelofChaos: One Goblin Laboratory replaced by a Marketplace. All
Marketplaces around the outside became Goblin Laboratories. Gold mine and
Laboratory islands are now connected. Island gold mine creep camps are now
- (6)StranglethornVale: Starting gold mines are reduced. Mercenary Camps
are now gold mines with strong creep camps. Neutral buildings altered in
the middle of the map.
- Clarity Potions, Healing Salves, and Scrolls of Regeneration all have
their effects dispelled when units under their influence attack, are
attacked, cast a spell, or are hit by a spell which does damage.
- Circlet of Nobility price increased to 175 from 125.
- Potion of Lesser Invulnerability now costs 150, up from 100.
- Crystal Ball now has unlimited charges, but a 60-second cooldown. It is
also now a level-5 permanent item instead of a level-2 charged item.
- Staff of Teleportation now costs 100 gold, down from 200, and no longer
- Orbs no longer cause melee Heroes to deal double damage.
- Adjusted the level of several items.
- Gyrocopters can now benefit from the new Flak Cannons upgrade, which gives
their air-to-air attack splash damage.
- Gyrocopters have been rebalanced as 1 food units.
- Mortar Teams can now benefit from the Fragmentation Shards upgrade, which
allows them to do increased damage against units.
- Knights adjusted to have a higher damage output, while being the same
- Spell Breakers now have the Feedback ability, which causes their attacks
to remove up to 10 mana from their target. Each point so removed causes
1 point of damage to the target.
- Spell Steal no longer requires an upgrade to use.
- Spell Breakers now have the Control Magic ability, which allows them to
charm enemy summoned units. The spell's cost is relative to the hit points
of the target. Control Magic requires the Control Magic upgrade.
- Blood Mages no longer have the Mana Shield ability, but have gained the
Siphon Mana ability, which is similar to the Dark Ranger's Life Drain,
except it drains mana instead of life from the target.
- Banish can now be cast on oneself, and slows its target by 66%.
- Banished units, by virtue of being ethereal, now take double damage from
Magic and spell attacks. The Sorceress' attack, Storm Bolt, and Flame Strike
are all examples of spells that are doubled in damage by Banish.
- Mark of Fire no longer requires a unit to create--just the spell.
- Dragonhawk Riders now benefit from the Animal War Training upgrade.
- Flame Strike now costs 150 mana to cast, up from 125.
- Flame Strike initial damage/sec reduced to 35/65/90 by level from 45/75/105.
- A bug with Flame Strike was fixed. Now it effectively deals 33%
more damage against units. This means that its values have
effectively been changed to 45/85/120 damage/sec by level.
- War Engine rockets now deal 25 damage down from 75, and have had a range
increase to 500 from 400. Additionally, up to 10 rockets can be fired at
once, up from 3.
- Human Shop no longer sells Scroll of Speed.
- Scout Towers now cost 30/20, down from 70/20.
- Guard Towers now have Light armor, take less time to build, and cost 80/60,
down from 120/60.
- Black Sphinx now has the Absorb Mana ability.
- Abominations now have the Cannibalize ability, which works much like the
Ghoul Cannibalize ability, except 1 corpse will not always fully heal an
- When units Cannibalize, the most injured units do so first.
- Obsidian Statues have been significantly changed. They now have only two
abilities: Spirit Touch and Replenish Life. They are auto-cast area-of-
effect mana and health restores which do not stack with other spells of
the same type. Two Sphinxes replenishing mana do not do so faster than 1.
Note that Statues no longer have Aura of Blight, Absorb Mana, or Replenish
- Obsidian Statues are once again 3 food in addition to now having 800 hit
points, being able to attack, and having medium armor.
- Black Sphinxes now lose 3 mana per second.
- Devour Magic radius reduced to 250 from 400, but cooldown reduced to 6
- The Meat Wagon's corpse-carrying capability has been improved. Cannibalize
and Raise Dead will automatically use corpses in a Meat Wagon as if the
corpses were on the ground.
- Shade speed increased to 350 from 270, but hit points reduced to 125 from
- Scroll of Speed now sold on Tomb of Wonders if a Black Citadel is built.
- A Graveyard is once again required to make Spirit Towers.
- Halls of the Dead hit points reduced to 1750 from 2000.
- Black Citadel hit points reduced to 2000 from 2300.